Monday, August 18, 2008

President's Message

Posted by Brennan Morris
FGLDS President
Captain

Rev. B.A. Gregg has always had a fun saying, that R-MA Speech and Debate is the “island of misfit toys.” Not to say that any of our kids are bad people or that we don’t get students with strong backgrounds; but so often, for one reason or another, newbies are in need of a new coat of paint to say the least. I can say from considerable experience that I was one of, if not the most rusty in the beginning. I’m Brennan Morris, President and Captain of the Randolph-Macon Speech and Debate Team, and keeping with years of tradition, it is my welcome task to give all new forensicators a sense of who I am, what I do and expect, and some friendly advice to make this new island more hospitable.

I come from an “interesting” background lets say. After a rather chaotic childhood I dropped out of seventh grade, and a periodic runaway. Through living on the streets from time to time, I decided to turn my life around; I wanted something better. I re-entered school and passed necessary tests to say on schedule. I spent my freshman year in public school before seeking a private school, which I felt would provide me with a better chance for college.

I chose R-MA over other schools specifically because of Speech and Debate; where I knew I could do well. From my first day on Speech and Debate I wanted to be a leader on the team, and worked for that. This not because I am power-hungry; I prefer to cooperate rather than order. That is why I will often put in 16-18 hour days, so often to assist others, or why I put myself out there in the first place. I learned of the streets the need to build a better life for myself; but also I found my own passion to be a non-judgmental friend and advocate for essentially anyone; whether they’re the brightest red truck in the toy bin, or that cruddy doll with gummy hair, and that half stuck open eye-lid. Enjoy the metaphor.

But, there is another clear point to be made: what I expect. The toughest thing for me as a Captain, was to assist the coach, rather than try to do his job. However, after a year in this position I have nailed that one down. My job is to: help anyone on the team in a professional sense, enforce the policies of the coach, and assist in the smooth implementation of team operations. Rev. B.A. Gregg sets the policy not me, or anyone else, and what he says is final. The buck, always, always, always, stops with Rev. Gregg. He has the responsibility for the team and every one of our actions and it is a responsibility he takes really, really seriously. As he has been around for years and has coached national and state championship teams, he really knows what he does and sees any issue – a debate case, a low grade in a class, or the choice of what event you should compete – from a lot of different sides. That’s not to say he’s unapproachable and decisions are final; you just need to have really good reasons for what you do and approach him in his office if you have an alternative plan.

But, another expectation is devotion. Speech and Debate is rewarding on an incredible scale, because of getting to be part of a championship team, and the chance to succeed, but that does not mean that it is not without hardship. There is no part-time debater. There is no occasional debater. There is no “iffy” debater. Competitors compete, and students are expected to go to every tournament without exception; and yes, in the course of my two years at R-MA I have never skipped a tournament. This is not really a bad thing – tournaments are fun, and we will get to go see things and do things, are more than worth the while, and that’s coming from me, a very very non-geeky person (though if you are a geek it will be even more amazing). At the same time, students are expected to maintain at the very least a 3.0 GPA, though that is a bare bottom minimum.

Though we have an amazing coaching staff, an unparalleled competition schedule, a very supportive administration, the best of research opportunities and squad facilities in the nation, all that will only go so far. You must eventually decide for yourself how much you are going to put into this event, and that effort will be directly proportional to what you get out of it. We expect you to capitalize for yourself on the opportunities that are being given and to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime chance. That’s for you to decide, but keep in mind, we never regret taking advantage of opportunities.

So, as for the friendly advice… I think the most important thing is to be focused but relaxed. I could be doing the whole, “we’re going to a fun year, but get ready to work” kinda thing. But, that’s so mundane. There will be parts that are fun, and parts that are tough, but just relax. We and the returners on the team, are going to walk you through it all until you find your stride, and all of this is not nearly as hard as it might seem.

But, the real value of being on the team is a bit more sublime. Though I had my anxiety, going to R-MA was an experience that I welcomed very much; I love my independence. However, I can speak from personal experience that it will present you with a set circumstances that are new and challenging. Not in terms of just the team, but in terms of the entire experience of a boarding school. So, for right now in these beginning weeks, the real value of Speech and Debate is that you will have access to resources that few others will have. On one hand you will have advisors who know what they are doing to walk you through the process, all you have to do is follow the instructions. And, in another sense you will have… automatic friends. You will have a coach that won’t take any nonsense, and is very tough, but cares tremendously, and you will have me and the other returners right off the bat. We are a team, but we are also a family.

So, overall, this is going to be a neat experience, that’s a guarantee. You will be expected to work, and self-correct, and be proactive. Thus, just as I found motivation from isolation of the streets, you must find your own inspiration to push ahead and take advantage of the opportunities that will come. But, for right now, it’s worth it, because from day one you will be accepted for who you are, even if there are a few kinks in your coat of paint.

-Brennan